Home Travel agency Reserved truck driver; 9 bodies identified

Reserved truck driver; 9 bodies identified

0

The driver of the coal container truck, which was involved in a side collision with a Mumbai-bound bus early Saturday on the Nashik-Aurangabad trunk road that killed 12 and injured several other passengers, was arrested by the police station. He was convicted under Section 304 of the Indian Penal Code (causing death by negligence). Police are verifying the role of a travel agency, Chintamani Travels, in the alleged bus overload.

The capacity of the bus was 30 people while 55 were on board at the time of the accident, Saturday at 5:15 am. Police said looking at the impact of the crash, it is possible that both vehicles exceeded the speed limit. Police have identified nine of the 12 bodies so far.

The collision hit the diesel tank of the truck which had spilled fuel and the front part of the bus, which was heading from Yavatmal, immediately caught fire due to its overheated engine, police said. The coal truck did not catch fire and the two vehicles landed a great distance apart due to the huge impact, police said. The collision had occurred near the Mirchi Hotel Chowk.

Regarding the driver’s arrest, Nashik Police Commissioner Jayant Naiknavare said, “The truck driver had escaped from the site but was arrested by us and convicted of causing death by negligence. While regarding the bus driver, there were two drivers, one slept in the back of the bus while the other drove. The driver also died in the accident, and the sleeping driver suffered few injuries, as he was not driving during the incident, there will be no charges against him.

According to the police, they identified a total of nine bodies out of the 12 bodies, identifying various personal effects on them such as their mobile phones, ornaments, etc. including the bus driver and a three-year-old child. , however, the other bodies were charred beyond recognition. “DNA samples from the three other deceased persons and their relatives who have come forward have been sent to forensics, the results are expected to arrive on Tuesday evening,” added the police commissioner.

Regarding the overloading of the bus, the commissioner added saying: “The total number of passengers on the bus was more than its capacity, there were 51 passengers most of whom were lucky to have survived the terrible accident. During the investigation, there will be a special team that will probe all angles like RTO, overtaking, permits, etc. and if we see anyone being negligent, we will take action.

The survivors were admitted to municipal and private hospitals in Nashik. “We hope the injured recover as soon as possible, they are people from different parts of the state and should be able to return home soon,” CP added.

(To receive our daily E-paper on WhatsApp, please Click here. To receive it on Telegram, please Click here. We allow the PDF of the document to be shared on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)