Home Travel agency Sandals Resorts to Add Carbon Monoxide Detectors After 3 Americans Die in Bahamas

Sandals Resorts to Add Carbon Monoxide Detectors After 3 Americans Die in Bahamas

0
Placeholder while loading article actions

Sandals Resorts said it has installed carbon monoxide detectors in all rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas, where three American visitors died earlier this month and a fourth fell ill.

The company, which operates 16 all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, said in a statement it will also place the devices in bedrooms at the rest of its properties. Sandals also said it brought in environmental safety experts to perform a “comprehensive review of all resort systems.”

“Ensuring the safety and well-being of our guests and team members is and always will be paramount,” the statement read.

The company’s announcement on Wednesday came after local media, including the Guardian of Nassau and the Grandstand, reported that carbon monoxide had killed tourists in the resort town of Exuma. Publications have not identified their sources and police have yet to release the cause of death. Sandals has asked Bahamian authorities about the results of the autopsy.

“The information does not come from the police,” said Audley Peters, deputy superintendent of police and spokesman for the Royal Bahamas Police Force. “Our investigations are ongoing.

Officials identified those who died on May 6 as husband and wife Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65 of Tennessee; and Vincent Chiarella, a 64-year-old from Florida. His wife, Donnis Chiarella, 65, was taken to a Miami-area hospital. Michael and Robbie Phillips owned a travel agency specializing in Sandals Resorts.

Three Americans die mysteriously in a five-star hotel in the Bahamas

“We remain devastated by the unimaginable event that occurred at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort earlier this month which resulted in the deaths of three people, including two members of our beloved travel advisor community, and the recovery of a fourth guest,” Sandals Resorts said in a statement.

The four guests attended a clinic complaining of nausea and vomiting the day before they died, The Washington Post previously reported. The three deceased visitors were found unresponsive in their villas, which Sandals said were part of the same structure.

“Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded that the cause was an isolated incident at a free-standing structure that housed two individual bedrooms and was in no way related to the air conditioning system, food service, laundry services. landscaping or resort foul play.” the company said.

The State Department said in a statement that it is “closely monitoring” the local investigation.

Brittany Shammas contributed to this report.