A United States man who tested positive for the coronavirus died Tuesday at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort in Great Exuma, Bahamas, local police said.
The Royal Bahamas Police Force did not share the man’s identity or age with The Washington Post, as they said his family had not yet been notified. A public affairs department official said the man died after suffering a seizure and had been quarantining in his room since testing positive on Saturday.
“Unfortunately, one guest has died of apparent natural causes,” Sandals Resorts said in a statement sent to The Washington Post, adding “Bahamian authorities do not suspect foul play.”
Three Americans died at the same resort in May due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Sandals later said it was installing carbon monoxide detectors in every room on the property. Sandals operates Bahamas resorts in Great Exuma and Nassau.
The Bahamas requires travelers 12 and older to show proof of vaccination or a negative coronavirus test before boarding a flight to the islands.
A travel advisory from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that the Bahamas is a level 3 (high) risk for the coronavirus. The health agency recommends travelers avoid traveling to the Bahamas if they are not up to date with their coronavirus vaccines.